How To Enjoy a Barbecue Without Burning Yourself Out
As well as a bank holiday weekend, next week (29th May – 4th June) is also National Barbecue Week. So what better excuse to dust off the barbie, invite a few friends round and pronounce yourself Lord, or Lady, of the Tongs.
To ensure you stay cool while things hot up, here’s the Porky Whites guide to enjoying grills and thrills - without the spills...
- Eliminate supermarket stress! Simply visit our online shop to have your favourite Porky Whites Premium British sausages and burgers delivered direct to your door.
- You’ll be too busy to play bartender as well as grillmeister so pre-make jugs of iced drinks. Or for a quick and easy summer drink, stick a bit of lime in a bottle of lager. Job’s a good ‘un.
- For maximum flavour, always marinate overnight. We’re talking meat by the way, not you.
- Likewise, remember to make a huge bowl of salad the night before. It means come the day of the barbecue you’ll have plenty more time to throw it in the bin.
- Use a charcoal barbecue over gas, as the smoke is an ingredient in itself. Try adding wood chips to your charcoal. Hickory and oak are great with fish and pork, while cherry and apple wood add a sweetness to most meats.
- Don’t forget the barbecue lid – it locks in flavour, keeps the temperature constant and let’s face it, how else are you going to melt cheese on the burgers? Or put out that huge pyrotechnic flare-up?
- Embrace the British summer by having plenty of emergency blankets, waterproofs and flasks of hot soup on stand-by.
- Remember, there may be vegetarians at your barbecue so ensure you have plenty of spare charcoal briquettes for them to nibble on.
- Wearing a novelty kitchen apron bearing hilarious slogans such as ‘Mr Good Looking Is Cooking’ will help deflect guest’s attention from your questionable taste in summer sandals
- Seriously, different meats and fish have varied cooking times on the barbie. So if needs be, place the food in foil to slow things down.
- Relieve the pressure of guests impatiently waiting for their food by ensuring they can entertain themselves with a variety of no-skills-required lawn games ie frisbee, boules, croquet and pin the tail on the vegan.
- Avoid bellyaches and lawsuits by using a small sharp knife to cut into the centre of the meat (down to the bone if there is one) to check that the flesh is cooked and juices are running clear. Our family’s tried and tested method of barbecuing our beloved Porky Whites sausages is to parboil first, check out our cooking tips for more information.
But most importantly, remember not to overdo the marinade when cooking on a hot barbie. And yes, this time we’re talking you, not the meat.